Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Duane Bryers 'Hilda' goes on...

The post that I placed on this blog previously, about Hilda, the chubby gorgeous pin up girl, is my top rated post. I am not surprised. She is a work of pure genius! The genius of artist Duane Bryers.



Sadly, Duane Bryers died, in Tucson on May 30th this year. On a happier note, he had reached the grand old age of 100 years old, almost 101.


Duane invented Hilda in the mid 1950s and persuaded Brown & Biglow calendars to print her. They expected it to be a short run, because Hilda was chubby, however, she actually ran for 3 decades!



During an interview given to www.toilgirls.com a few years ago, Duane said that he painted close to 250 pictures of Hilda, over 36 years. He listed one of his favourites as,



Hilda, sweeping the dust under the rug.

He said that he had kept around 60 of the original paintings himself.



Vintage Vic loves Hilda and often features her on the Vintage Vic facebook page.



Sometimes I manage to find vintage Hilda prints to sell. I only have one at the time of writing this article.



To see more details, or purchase this print





I am, however, waiting for a delivery of 4 vintage Hilda prints,













If you are interested to see or purchase any of the above 4 pictures, I shall be announcing their arrival on my website,


Duane Bryers will be remembered for many years to come, through his art.

Long live Hilda!

















4 comments:

  1. I love Hilda...!!!
    What great images. My fav is the 'Ironing Hilda', mainly cos I hate ironing..!!
    Fab history included as well - loved this blog.
    Jo. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate ironing and love Hilda too!! We obviously have much in common! I did another post about Hilda and Duane Bryers a while ago. It's a bit more detailed and includes a great interview with him. It's under popular posts on the left of this page. Thank you for your kind words. Vicki x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to find some prints to purchase. I do not mind recreations. It's just that I find the same ones at Ebay, Etsy and Amazon over and over again. Is there another place to find some more uncommon ones?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to find some prints to purchase. I do not mind recreations. It's just that I find the same ones at Ebay, Etsy and Amazon over and over again. Is there another place to find some more uncommon ones?

    ReplyDelete